So if you haven’t read my blog before, you need to know that I have substance abuse issues, pretty regular suicidal ideation, and a few suicide attempts more than a decade ago where I tried overdosing on various medications. I have Complex PTSD and these past few weeks have been tough: more frequent dissociation, more suicidal thoughts, etc.
Well, I also have a fucking cold now 😒
So, here is a step by step guide for mindfully taking medication when you’re sick and you actually need it.
- Search for needed medication – in this case: NyQuil (Be mindful not to search too frantically because it will possibly trigger dissociation because it will remind you of a time you were frantically searching for drugs when you were going through withdrawal)
- Read directions of needed medication
- Measure out exactly what the directions say
- Let your significant other know that you are taking the needed medication and have them watch as you take the correct, specified dose
- Ask your significant other to put the remainder of the medication away for you (Mine knows to hide it so I can’t get up in the middle of the night and find more)
- Get into bed. Turn off your phone (This prevents you from contacting anyone that you shouldn’t be contacting while you’re under the influence of NyQuil)
- Go the fuck to sleep
Are you laughing at my mindfully medicating process? I am. Ha but really, I have to do this. If I don’t medicate mindfully, I will overdose or abuse the medication. Last time I was sick, I took an excessive combination of cold medications and ended up accidentally overdosing on Tylenol in the process. Whoops.